Thursday, February 18, 2010

Designer dogs and my gag reflex

Time and time again, as I cruise Petfinder or walk through the rows of kennels at Animal Control, I will come across a dog that didn't mature the way its 'owners' thought it would.  
"My Labradoodle wasn't supposed to shed." "This Puggle was supposed to be smaller than it is." or "This Huskashnoodle didn't keep it's blue eyes."


Gag me now.  


The age of  "Designer breeds" is well upon us and its a bit of a crisis!   I have to vomit a little when I hear the name "Labradoodle," "Cockapoo," "Puggle" or any other oodle, doodle, uggle combination that has been rocketed into our society boasting of a "purer gene pool".  


I'm not going to get in to the biology of breeding two purebred dogs - mainly because I don't know how to create a punnet square on Blogger - but listen up, folks!! There is no way to determine what characteristics puppies will have when you mate two completely different breeds!  You can end up with any combination of the characteristics of the parents!    Oh, and to clue you in, breeding two faulty dogs will not give you healthier offspring!  How do I know that they are faulty?? I know because no responsible owner or breeder of faultless animals would be creating these godawful puppies with godawful names. 


Let me get back to my beef with the name...
Why is it that I have such an issue with these designer names, exactly?  
Surely I couldn't have it out for mutts, could I?
Absolutely not!  I love mutts.  What I hate are unscrupulous breeders and gimmicks!!


The following are a few reasons why I shudder at the mention of an oodle, doodle, or uggle:


Designer dog names perpetuate the misconception that these hybrid dogs are actual breeds. However, these designer breeds are in no way actual breeds and are only produced by irresponsible breeders -- and in many cases puppy mills. By using "designer breed" names and perpetuating the idea that these are real breeds, you are simply encourage people to buy dogs from irresponsible breeders and contribute to the suffering of millions of dogs in this country.


So quit it.


You do not have a Maltipom, you have a Maltese-Pomeranian mix.  Its not a Labradoodle, its a Labrador-Standard Poodle Mix. AND FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, Its not a Puggle, its a Beagle-Pug mix!!  --And and might I add that this is one of the more unfortunate mixes I've seen.

If you must call your Lab/Poodle cross a Labradoodle, knock yourself out, but know that I might just vomit in my mouth.  

1 comment: